My work takes inspiration from geometrical Islamic design of Muslim Mesopotamia (modern day Iraq), which has been home to some of the oldest major civilizations. Since the rise of the first cities in southern Mesopotamia 5300BCE Mesopotamia has been under Hellenistic, Persian, Mongol and Turkic rule, which have all left their mark on their rich cultural heritage? My work is hand built with ceramic tiles, ceramics reliefs and wall pieces. I have created form from soft slabs of clay. I have wanted to build an abstract form but one that is evocative, displaying an organic and sensual quality. Clay surfaces decorative with screen-print, slip colouring and different layering that make the surfaces of my work rich with density. The quality of the clay surface adds a new and sensual dimension to my work. The pieces become tactile that reach out with those that view them as deep within are pictures aiming to merge colour and form. http://www.mariwan.exto.nl/
1) Membership of a lively, artistic community.
2) Opportunity to submit artwork for three Open shows a a year.
3) Invitations to exhibition previews, gallery talks, workshops and social events.
4) Information on art events and other opportunities.
5) 20% discount on framing at Wordly, Wicked and Wise. 6) 10% discount on art materials at Tannas.
7) 10% discount on hot and cold drinks at Food for Thought.
We are inviting already established or emerging Curators to organise shows for 2013. Please check the space availability under the Exhibitions page. If you are interested, please contact Joanna for further details.